An initiative of Pope Francis
It was Pope Francis who took the initiative in his message of August 6, 2015, to establish this world day in line with his recent encyclical Laudato Sì.
“I wish to communicate to you my decision to also establish in the Catholic Church a “World Day of Prayer for the Protection of Creation. Starting this year, the day will be celebrated on September 1, as already happens in the Orthodox Church.
Our common vocation, guardians of creation
The annual World Day of Prayer for the Protection of Creation offers each believer and every community a valuable opportunity to renew their personal commitment to their vocation as stewards of creation, giving thanks to God for the wonderful work that He entrusted to our care and invoking his help in the protection of creation and mercy for the sins committed against the world in which we live,” writes the Holy Father.
A theme: Creation and Mercy
This September 1st, Pope Francis will deliver a message. We already know the title: “Let us show mercy to our common home.” Already by its title, this message concretizes Laudato Si’ in the spirit of the Year of Mercy.
TO READ AND PRAY:
- Pray from the Encyclical “Laudato si”
- “Laudato Si” The cry of the Earth and the cry of the Poor
- “I have loved everything in our Africa, her past, her future, her sunshine, her mountains, her skies, the vast horizons of her deserts, the deep blue waves that bathe her shores.” Charles Lavigerie
“Love the peoples to whom you are sent” Charles Lavigerie
- Let us seek to cooperate with organisations which are working to save the earth
- URGENT appeal for the EARTH of Sister Carmen Sammut
- The disastrous effects of the Mining Industry in Africa