Our Congregation-the Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Africa (White Sisters) was born in 1869 in Algeria, founded by Cardinal Charles Lavigerie. We have communities in Algiers, Oran and Ghardaia.
Since the country's independence, the face of our presence has changed. We continue to live friendly relations with the believers of Islam. The Church in Algeria is a Church of encounter, a very multicultural church that brings religious, priests, students from sub-Saharan Africa, aid workers, migrants, and mixed marriage families toward the Algerian people.
We serve university students through our libraries. Several sisters, through various services of Caritas, work for the promotion of women, training of kindergarten teachers, serving the disabled and refugees. We also encourage women to maintain traditional crafts and develop modern crafts. Others develop methods for learning languages and the cultures of the country. One sister is engaged in the production and dissemination of Hayat magazine.
A Ghardaia, in the Algerian desert, we share people's lives, being attentive especially to the poor and families with disabled children. We promote girls in remote villages, young people with learning difficulties or unemployment.
Our desire: To give with what we are to help people "stand tall," to heal wounds. To live and give others the desire to live! To be bridges between cultures and religions, in all the diversity of our ministries, and each in her own way.
Witnessing to the Kingdom already here, we desire that no matter how humble our actions they might carry Hope within them.
"Dare to live!"
Palms ! They symbolize the tree of life, fertility, nourishment.