“Only to do right and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with your God.” (Micah 6:8)
Journeying in dignity
“Journeying in dignity” is the theme of the 9th Edition of the International Day of Prayer and Awareness Against Human Trafficking, celebrated around Feb. 8, 2023.
In 2022, we have experienced major changes as well as the aggravation of crises. In this context, the number of both at-risk groups and people suffering from trafficking violence has increased. This can be explained by the exploitation of vulnerabilities caused by instability due to armed conflicts, generalized violence, and climate-environmental and economic crises. Those attempting to flee in hope of safety or employment find themselves at the mercy of inadequate laws to protect migrants and find themselves more easily entangled in the webs woven by traffickers. In addition, traffickers have increased their use of information technology for recruitment and exploitation, luring victims on social media and posting false job ads on the Internet.
In this context, we are called to keep hope and the values that guide our being and acting alive. This is the meaning of the theme of the 9th International Day of Prayer, chosen by an international group of 10 young representatives of partner organizations and 4 young communication experts:
• Journeying in dignity against human trafficking. Our commitment has as a horizon the dignity of every person, leaving no one behind. This is our journey.
- Walking with open eyes to recognize the processes that lead millions of people, especially young people, to exploitation and human trafficking;
- Walking with an attentive heart to discover the daily paths of thousands of people in search of freedom and dignity, paths of care, inclusion, and empowerment;
- Walking with hope guiding our feet to promote anti-trafficking actions that make us rediscover dignity, reawaken the joy of living and release hope, letting ourselves be inspired by young people’s creativity and spiritual strength;
- Walking together hand in hand to build a culture of encounter that leads to the conversion of hearts and inclusive societies, capable of unmasking stereotypes and protecting the rights of every person.
The entire document can therefore be downloaded: https://preghieracontrotratta.org/files/documenti/EN_PRESENTAZION_IDPAAHT_IX_EDITION_JqTWRwp.pdf